Alpha 150

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Faith And Weight Loss Part 2


"I found purpose in my weight loss"
Abby Meloy, 46, Lake City, FLPounds Lost: 56 Height: 5'8" Weight Now: 160 Weight Then: 216

As senior pastor, Abby Meloy couldn't say no when parishioners asked her to organize a weight loss group at their church. "I was hesitant because I had failed at many diets in the past," says Meloy, whose weight had reached more than 200 pounds. "But I knew I wasn't setting the right example for my congregation, so I gave it a shot."

Meloy started a chapter of a national Christian health program called First Place at her church. The Bible-based plan focuses on improving all areas of life--physical, spiritual, and emotional. Meloy kept a food journal, balanced her meals, and committed to a daily exercise routine. Soon, she led weekly prayer groups to help empower members to overcome temptation. In the first 13 weeks, Meloy dropped 27 pounds. "When I started seeing results and others came to me for advice, my diet became about something more," she says. "If I continued to succeed, I could help others do the same. That was my motivation." Surrounded by trusted parishioners, Meloy acquired the confidence to explore the real reasons she overate, which included the stress of serving as a pastor. Now when she feels the compulsion to eat to quell her anxiety, she prays or takes a walk to clear her mind. "If I'm still hungry afterward, I'm in a better place mentally to make a healthy choice," she says. And if she does indulge, she tries not to be too hard on herself. "I think, God forgives me, so why shouldn't I forgive myself?--and then I'm right back on track."

My Faith Helps Me... Find motivation "When losing weight stopped being about me, me, me, and became about setting a good example--that's when I knew I'd be successful."

Expert Tips "Being a leader keeps you accountable," says Jeannie Moloo, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "And that has a powerful impact on your behavior." Some ways to foster that sense of responsibility:

Consider yourself a role model Set an example for your family and friends. How you act makes a lasting impression.

Team up Working toward your goal with another person can provide extra support and inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home