Alpha 150

Friday, May 27, 2005

For The Love Of A Little Boy Posts By SFC Kevin Kelly

May 14
We were getting ready to go to some more houses to look around and there was a woman, man and a 7 year old boy standing in front of their house. They were saying something, but we weren't paying that close attention until the man reached down and pulled up his son's gown (I don't know what the gown thing is called) and I saw a horrific sight. The little boy had no penis and his bladder was hanging out. CPT Cager and I immediately went to the woman and man to ask what had happened. Not really sure, but something about an explosion. The dad pulled it up again and you could see the little boy just so timid about us looking. We pulled it back down and told them we would get a doctor to him as soon as we could. We went to the last houses to search and finished up. I asked CPT Cager if I should take a picture of it so that I could give the doctor a look at what he would be facing so he could ask questions or bring medicine. He said yes. I went to ask the woman, with an interpreter, if I could take a picture to show our doctor. I told her that as soon as I showed the doctor I would delete the pictures because I didn't want anyone else having access to these pictures. She agreed and I took the picture. I gagged and wanted to cry at the same time seeing the flies landing on his bladder. (I did delete it immediately after giving it to Doc (MAJ) Leewood.) I told them that we would have a doctor here as soon as possible to help the child. Once back at the FOB, I talked to Doc and he said there is a program where we can send this kid to the military hospital in Baghdad to perform surgeries. If they aren't able to do it there, they will fly some of them back to the U.S. I just hope and pray that we can do something for this little boy and his family. I know that this might sound bad of my land navigation skills, but we took a wrong turn 200 meters before our scheduled stop. Had we not stopped here, we would have never seen the kid. It's weird how things happen. I'm sorry to end the email on a sad note, but the bright side is that we will probably be able to help this boy. We do a lot of things over here for the Iraqi people, but if this little boy gets to have an operation and is healed because we found him, it will make this more meaningful to know that you made a difference in a little boy's life.
May 17
When we got to the house, the mother of the boy was in the fields working. Totally off the subject, but when I say she was in the field working, she was working. The women do all the harvesting and stuff. When they pull the crops from the ground or pull the grass so that the cows have something to eat, they pick it clean. It looks like a lawn mower cut the grass. Anyway, the woman saw us pull up and she came straight to the house. Our doctor got out and we went to see the child. The doctor did an examination of him. We also asked some clarifying question. The child was actually born with this problem. I don’t know how our interpreter got explosion the last time. The child is 7 years old. Doc said that we now forward the pictures to the surgeons in Baghdad at the Army post there and see if they will do the surgery. He feels pretty confident that they can if we can just cut through all the red tape. You should have seen the tears rolling down the woman’s face as we told her we would probably be able to help him out. We then went and saw a few other sick people in the area.
May 20, 2005 - WE ARE GETTING MOHAMMAD THE SURGERYToday we started out with the mission of trying to find out more information on little Mohammed who is the little kid with the problem I have talked about. We had to take several vehicles since they don't have a telephone. When we got there, the mother was giving him a bath in a washtub in the opening of the house and he was really embarrassed. We turned away and started talking to his brother. We had to get his name, age, address, mother's name and father's name and all the typical information you would need to send someone to the hospital. He got dressed and came over to us so attentive. He had been kind of distant, but this time he would look up to me and kind of give this little grin. We told the parents and brother that we didn't know when we would be able to help them out, but as soon as we did, we would call them or come see them. We left and the little boy held out his hand to shake my hand. I thought it was pretty cool. Little did we know that when we got back this afternoon, that we found out when and where he would get surgery. I can't disclose that right now for security reasons for both us and the boy, but it won't be long. I don't know, it just felt so great to know that we were going to be able to help this little boy and his family. I'll let you know more as it develops.
May 21
We had to stop by Mohammad's house to tell his father when and where we would pick him up when it was time. We had pulled up and the father was outside. I bet we hadn't been there but about 30 seconds when from around the corner, Mohammad came running around the corner with a backpack on his shoulder and what looked like a brand new outfit with his hair all fixed up and everything. You could just see the excitement in his eyes. I hated to tell him that today wasn't the day, but told him when we would come get him and to be ready. He just looked at us with excitement. I told him he would be able to fly with his father in a helicopter and that even made him happier. I think everyone here in this FOB is ready for this little boy to get surgery. You can act as tough and mean as you want, but when you see this little boy coming running around the corner smiling with his backpack thinking he is going to have surgery, you have no choice but to let your guard down. I'll speak for myself and maybe a few others that have seen him, he has me totally captivated. I can't wait to get him fixed up.
May 22, 2005 - WE COMPLETED THE MISSIONI know some are wondering the status of little Mohammad. We got him on the helicopter this morning and he is gone to have his surgery. I'll write more about the day later, but wanted to tell every back home that had said prayers for this to happen. I know this isn't somthing that you'll see in magazines or television, but this is what this war is about. This is a little boy that captured the hearts of a Company and many others. Thanks for all your prayers. God Bless, Kevin
May 22-2Today started out with an early wake-up to go pick up Mohammad at his house. When we got there this morning early, he was up, dressed and ready to go with his little backpack over his shoulder. His dad was outside and came up to us and you could just see the joy in both of their faces. You don't know how bad I've wanted to tell you when we were going to go pick him up, but for security I kept it to myself. But I did want to let you know as soon as it happened. We asked the father if he would mind if CPT Cager, SGT Ricks and I took a picture with them and he said they would be honored. We took them to the HUMVEE to put them inside and we told the father that we hated to do this, but we would have to blindfold him until we got to our FOB. He said he understood. Still kind of felt weird that we were helping them out but still had to blindfold, but it was the right thing to do. We headed back and got back to the FOB and we took them to the aid station (medical tent) to wait for the helicopter. I had to go put up my body armor and a few other things before I could go back and check on him. I got back and people were coming in and out to greet them and to see the boy everyone had been talking about. I had brought him a coloring book someone had sent for the kids, SFC Arthur had brought him some matchbox cars, others brought toys, food, gatorade, food and even money. It was like Christmas for the little boy. We finally got everyone ran out to give them a little break. I decided since it was going to be a while before the helicopter got there, I would eat and go to church first. I couldn't wait to get back to see how Mohammad was doing. When I got back he was watching The Polar Express on someone's laptop and eating a sucker. He always would look up at me and then shy away and look back down. I slid over to him and showed him a picture of my son and he loved the soccer one. I slid back to where I was before and and watched the movie with him. After 15 minutes or so, I had to get up and I happened to look down on the ground. The poor little boy got so nervous and scared to get up to go to the bathroom that he had an accident in his chair and it was on the floor. His dad noticed it the same time as I did and I just held up my finger for him not to move. I didn't want to cause a scene and embarrass him so I took a gatorade that I was drinking and knocked it over and it went all over the floor where everything was wet. I then told the interpreter to tell the dad to take him outside while we cleaned up the mess. He did and moved him outside where his little outfit would dry out. I don't think anyone ever knew a thing. In this heat, it dried very quickly. We just sat outside and talked. The father pulled the interpreter and I to the side and told me that he never thought that there could be so much generosity, thoughtfulness, and humanity shown to someone from another country and especially since there was a war. He then told me that Mohammad couldn't go to school because little kids made fun of him and also no one would really play with him either. He just sat kept saying Shakron (Thank You) over and over. I just told him that if I was in the same situation that I would want him to do the same for my son. We finally got up to the top of the hill when the helicopter was due. LTC Robinson came out to meet both of them. Before he came out there, Clay had asked the little boy if he was ready to go on the helicopter and he said very quickly, NO. Everyone laughed and he just smiled. The helicopter flew in and I carried his bag to the bird and helped him in. I then handed him his back pack that was full of little green apples to eat and all the stuff everyone had given him. He just kind of threw up a hand and waved and that was all the thanks we needed. The bird took off and our little boy was headed to Baghdad. I remember Clay coming up to me and saying, "If that doesn't get to your heart, something is wrong with you." I couldn't agree with him more. I'll let you know more when we hear something. It could be tomorrow or it could be weeks. Thanks for all the prayers though. I've attached the picture of us picking him up this morning

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home